Position Title: Operations Manager, Transportation
I. Department Overview:
The Transportation Center of Excellence (COE) emphasizes a partnership with internal & external customers, along with external vendor/s to increase the overall value to our shareholders. With a collaborative approach, the COE is focused on Cardinal Health’s Transportation expenditures. As a center led initiative, the team is organized to establish an overall Transportation Strategy, driving savings to the bottom line and ensuring customers are provided a quality service. The team identifies, prioritizes, evaluates and pursues opportunities for cost reduction while maintaining service and supply standards.
The Operations Manager position is a vital role in the Transportation COE and will be responsible for planning, managing and coordinating all Operations Activity. This includes, but is not limited equipment oversight, vendor relations, repairs and maintenance, fuel programs, recordkeeping, compliance, as well as serving as a liaison to the field locations to remedy operational challenges/needs. This position will provide overall leadership to the fleet operations in the medical DC’s and will play a key role in identifying/recommending operational improvements across the medical supply chain.
III. Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities:
- Develop a cost-effective fleet strategy that meets customer demands while maximizing the Company’s ROI. In cooperation with Finance, institute metrics to measure ROI.
- Oversees Vendors role in the effective preventive maintenance and DOT inspection programs across all locations to ensure maintenance schedules are met, cost-effective repairs are performed, and downtime is minimized.
- Manage comprehensive fuel/fleet card programs that minimize costs and theft exposure while maximizing vehicle utilization rates.
- Oversees DOT Compliance and reporting as it relates to fleet.
- Identify the most effective shipping solution – Commercial vs Fleet strategy
- Present cost savings ideas and opportunities
- Monitor Fleet related expenditures on vehicle leases, repairs, and fuel.
IV. Position Requirements:
Education or Equivalent:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business or equivalent area of study
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in Operations/Transportation (Transportation Management)
• Strong P&L, forecasting, and budgeting experience
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, business planning, financial analysis, negotiation, and customer satisfaction skills.
- Knowledge of DOT/FMCSA regulations
- Ability to establish clear priorities quickly. Ability to work effectively under pressure, handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Positive attitude, collaborative interpersonal skills, and leadership skills, ability to build a cohesive, focused, and motivated team.
- Ability to articulate with strong presentation skills, excellent written communication abilities, and should provide strong negotiating skills.
- High personal integrity and ethics with uncompromising standards.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve customer complaints and problems and restore/maintain business.
What Transportation contributes to Cardinal Health
Transportation is responsible for the movement of materials and products between suppliers, manufacturing, warehousing, and the customer. Management of transportation assets and systems to gain greater service, cost efficiency and optimization of processes.
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years experience
- 3+ supervisory/management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Manages department operations and supervises professional employees, frontline supervisors and/or business support staff
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals
- Ensures employees operate within guidelines
- Decisions have a short term impact on work processes, outcomes, and customers
- Interacts with subordinates, peer customers and suppliers at various management levels may interact with senior management
- Interactions normally involve the resolution of issues related to operations and/or projects
- Gains consensus from various parties involved
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.